Search

2016-10-05

Antes De Mi Vicino Miyazaki


This June 7, a new Studio Ghibli book was published in Spain by the authors of Mi Vecino Miyazaki. This prequel volume, titled "Antes De Mi Vecino Miyazaki," covers the early careers of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, and their works from the 1960s and 1970s. Authors Alvaro Lopez Martin and Marta Garcia Villar have assembled a terrific book that is an absolute must for all Ghibli Freaks.

Martin and Villar are the brains behind Generacion Ghibli, the terrific Studio Ghibli website in Spain. They have been big supporters of Ghibli Blog for a long time, and I am always happy to return the favor. I contributed a paragraph to their first book, and for the second, I was asked to write the introduction. I was thrilled to work with such fine people and help share the love of these great animated works, and assembled a lengthy essay detailing the first half of the Takahata/Miyazaki canon.

At present, Antes De Mi Vecino Miyazaki is available only in Spain, and the book is written exclusively in Spanish. I understand that the publisher is interested in an American release in English. That would require a bit of work, but is certainly an achievable goal. I would love to see Viz Media pick up the US distribution rights. Heck, I'd love to pick up the book for my upcoming publishing label. Unfortunately, copyrights issues are more strict in the States than the EU, where these images fall within the boundaries of Public Domain.

Please don't let the language barrier discourage you. This book is packed with full color pictures from such classics as Horus, Prince of the Sun, Lupin the 3rd, Heidi, Girl of the Alps, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, and Anne of Green Gables. The cover and layout designs are terrific, very professional in every respect.

Every Ghibli Freak owes it to themselves to add their book to their collections. It raises the standard for the rest of us, no question about that. I know that I will have to work twice as hard with my own (ongoing) Ghibli book project. You can order your copy from the Amazon link above. Pick up your copy today!



No comments:

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover