Search

2017-11-21

Thanks For Nothing, Lasseter-San

Thanks For Nothing, Lasseter-San

Well, there goes any chance of ever getting this DVD released in the US. Thanks for nothing, jerkwad.

This rolling wave of harassment scandals sweeping Hollywood and Washington reminds me my freshman year in high school in 1989, when the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain both crumbled. Every day, you were asking, "Who's next?" There was music in the cafes at night and revolution in the air.

I have great admiration for the Pixar movies, and will always respect John Lasseter the film artist. He helped to transform animation in a manner not seen since Walt Disney, for better and for worse. But his behavior is shameful, degrading and deeply destructive to countless lives. He needs to go. Now.

Let Pete Docter run the place instead. He's from Minnesota, he's nice. He's not a disgusting, hypocritical pig.

P.S. You just know that Hayao Miyazaki is going to dish out the trash talk, sooner or later.

4 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

It'll be interesting to see what he thinks after all this.

I also remember 1989 well. I think the capture and execution of Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu was it's peak.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

It's funny that you mention that. Mr. Gastler, who was the 10th Grade civics teacher, firmly believed that Romania would never turn. That and Bulgaria were the final holdouts in his mind. So I can imagine his shock when the people finally rose up and toppled their dictators. I miss Mr. Gastler, he was a theatrical sort, God rest his soul.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Interesting. Of course when all this was happening, I was still in the 6th grade and on my way to Junior High.

Josh said...

I hate to sound like a victim-blaming devil's advocate here, but while there have indeed been many obviously cut-and-dry scandals as of late, in the case of Lasseter I'm more inclined to be suspicious of the severity of his actions, similar to the recent IGN editor hysterics, which to me just sounded like a classic case of someone misreading the signs that someone else potentially had feelings for them and instead just came of as a creep, certainly not something I'd label as "traumatic." But I digress. It will indeed be interesting to hear what Miyazaki has to say if he does indeed comment (and we all know they're close friends). Perhaps he would know more about the situation than we're privy to.

Also, you're just gonna jinx it by presumptuously praising Pete Doctor so much. It would be reeeaaally darkly humorous if he ended up being ousted in the next inevitable scandal.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover